Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Choosing Organic Food for the Family


Organic foods often has a higher price tag over those products from conventional farming.
Product cost is probably one of the notable things that you will see differently between organic and conventional farming produce. The higher price tag of organic products is nothing compared to the long term benefits it gives. But higher price tags should not stop us from going organic.

Consider the following:
- Cost of health care expenses spent on various food-related illnesses
- Amount of money that taxpayers doled out to subsidize large farming operations.
- Money that we pay for our water bills to filter out agricultural chemical residues out of the drinking water.
- Hospital bills that we have to pay in case we get sick from the foods that we eat.
- Medical expenses we incur due to water-borne diseases

Given these things to think about, will you agree that choosing organic foods pays off in the end?


Organic foods are richer in nutritional value since it has polyphenolic compounds that act as antioxidants. Organic meat is richer in omega-3 fats and contains higher amounts of conjugated linoleic acid or CLA that helps reduce risk of cancer. By consuming organic meat, we do not only prevent ourselves from mad cow disease but we help reduce the risk of getting cancer. Moreover, people who are patronize organic meat and foods have better immune system levels. They also have better sleeping habits and are less likely to be overweight. Eating organic foods is also beneficial to babies and children. The average baby is born with 200 toxins and carcinogens in their body and by the time the kid reaches 2 years old, most have pasted the lethal limit for the toxins. And by feeding your child organic products, they will have about 1/6th the amount of carcinogens in their blood. No one can dispute that organic food grown and raised in natural, healthier environment is a better choice for your family.



7 comments:

  1. I like to growth myself my fruit and vegetables, so I try to eat organic as much as I can. Also, I prefer to conserve my own vegetables for the winter. Sometimes, I like to buy from shop, but it happends only when I'm out of my organic food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always better to load up on vitamins than spend on medications after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Leau Andreea I too have my own vegetable patch at home. By growing my own tomatoes, leafy greens and herbs, I'm assured that what I feed my family are healthy and carcinogen-free.

    @Franc - Yes, I'm also a firm believer on prevention rather than cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although groceries tend to jack-up on fresh organic foods, cultivating from your backyard garden is a reassurance that you harvest 100% organic and it's all free. You just need to water them, sunshine and little greeny talk will do! :) I do speak to my potted greens, I learned that the CO2 emit by humans can be beneficial to them, right? Besides they bloom graciously after our short pillow talk!

    ~Daryll

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish it was easy to cultivate your own fruits and vegetables that you know will not use harmful chemicals. I guess the extra cost of organic food is to save you that hassle of planting and taking care of them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I know organic may be healthy but it is quite expensive. I wish I could also have my own farm so I can harvest my own fruits and vegetables to eat and drink.
    -Wanderer Juan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I'm on the juicing diet, I am also quite interested in organic products. The fun thing is some of the stuff that we use now at home comes from our very own garden. Just the other day, me and my mom "harvested" some malunggay leaves, kamote tops, and even pechay from our garden.

    ReplyDelete